French Competition Authority
*Please note that French Competition Authority’s initiative is submitted for the sake of comprehensiveness. It is not eligible for an Award, except the Readers Award.
The Guide is first and foremost an online space dedicated to SMEs that has been created on the Autorité’s website. Viewers are greeted by a video presentation featuring Vice-President Emmanuel Combe who explains in a didactic way the tool that is made available. Viewers can choose from a list of educational videos and fact sheets on concrete issues which are divided into 2 sections: « Know the rules » and « What should I do if I am a victim or in breach of the law? ».
The « Know the rules » section covers 9 topics :
- Agreements: what is allowed, what is not allowed
- Why are cartels prohibited?
- An anthology of "inexcusable" excuses...
- Searches: how to react?
- Calls for tenders: the limits not to be crossed!
- Talking to your competitors: is it dangerous?
- Don’t prevent your distributors from selling on the Internet
- Do not impose resale prices on your distributors
- Don’t take advantage of your position of strength
The section on « What should I do if I am a victim or in breach of the law? » covers 8 topics :
– I am a victim :
- I am a victim of an agreement
- I am a victim of an abuse
– I am in breach of the law:
- I am in breach of the law, can I negotiate?
- I am in breach of the law, what do I risk?
- I am in breach of the law, leniency a smart solution
- I am in breach of the law at the local level, is a settlement possible with the DGCCRF?
- I take the lead, I propose commitments
- I take the lead, I raise the awareness of my employees
The Guide also exists in brochure version, which can be easily downloaded.
Please see below an English version of the Guide « Better understanding competition rules ».